Are you looking to enhance the quality of close-up shots? Perhaps you’re an online instructor looking to improve your appearance on educational videos? Whether you’re an amateur vlogger or a professional portrait photographer, there’s never been a better time to invest in a ring light. These affordable tools offer super-flattering illumination that can transform a drab photo or video into something truly compelling.
So, what exactly is a ring light? Put simply, it’s a circular LED lighting tool designed to mimic natural light while highlighting your subject’s best assets. The round shape helps to diffuse the light in a way that eliminates a subject’s blemishes while ensuring they look fresh and natural. Plus, ring lighting is also perfect for non-human subjects. Say, for example, you want to create a detailed image of a new product or dish. A ring light will ensure the light around the object is perfectly balanced, capturing minor details in all their glory.
So, how should you go about adding a ring light to your collection of film equipment? To help you find the best ring light for your needs, we’ve put together a handy list below of the 10 best ring lights for video.
- Best all-rounder ring light - JOBY Beamo Ring Light 12”
- Best smartphone ring light - Nanlite Halo 16C Bicolor and Tunable RGB 16-Inch LED Ring Light
- Best ring light for amateur YouTubers – Juice Social LED Ring Light
- Best ring light with tripod – Razer 12” Ring Light
- Best ring light for on-the-go filming – Rotolight Ultimate Vlogging Kit
- Best large ring light – GODOX LR150 18-inch LED Ring Light
- Best for Zoom calls – Logitech Litra Glow
- Best multi-purpose ring light – AirLit
- Best budget ring light - Smoovie Flexi Selfie Ring Light
- Best ring light with stand – Lume Cube Wireless Ring Light
1. Best all-rounder ring light - JOBY Beamo Ring Light 12”
Don’t be fooled by the JOBY ring light’s cute and compact design – it delivers a powerful punch of crisp lighting that will enhance your next video or photography project. As well as looking great on your desk or shelf, this handy gadget comes with ten adjustable brightness settings, three different colour temperatures, and a USB power cable. Whether you’re looking to brighten up your Zoom call or capture the essence of some great new projects, this ring light will add a professional touch to your project.
The Beamo is best suited to those working indoors, as you can plug the USB cable directly into the wall socket. However, it weighs just over 300g, meaning it's easy to carry between different locations. The ring light is also very easy to use – just mount your camera or smartphone to the screws provided.
You can purchase the Beamo as a single product for a very affordable price. However, you’ll likely need to purchase a stand or tripod to ensure the ring light remains stable. Fortunately, the Beamo is available in several different bundles containing accessories such as microphones, tripods, cold shoes, and more. If you already own some of these accessories, the JOBY is designed for compatibility with other brands and manufacturers.
- Produces high-quality lighting for its price point
- Compatible with a wide range of accessories from different brands
- Easy to set up
- Light and portable
- Doesn’t include a flash option – a potential drawback when photographing stills
- Not great for outdoor use
2. Best smartphone ring light - Nanlite Halo 16C Bicolor and Tunable RGB 16-Inch LED Ring Light
While the Nanlite Halo 16C may be a little pricier than other smartphone-compatible ring lights, it wins out thanks to its versatility and Wi-Fi capabilities. Indeed, the built-in Wi-Fi allows users to control the Nanlite using other devices – perfect if you need to adjust the ring light mid-shoot. The light comes with a smartphone bracket, a carry case, and a mirror. However, you will need to purchase a stand separately.
In terms of usability, the Nanlite offers adjustable colour temperatures, hues, and brightness, allowing users to experiment with their lighting setup. You can even use brightly coloured hues using the ring light’s RGB setting. Whether you want something bold and dramatic or soft and flattering, the Nanlite will help you achieve the perfect look for your project. If that weren’t enough, this ring light is robust and designed to last. As such, it may offer more value for money than a cheap ring light that can only survive a few uses.
- Sturdy and manufactured using high-quality materials
- Wi-Fi controls
- A wide range of settings
- Includes RGB and CCT colour options
- Doesn't come with a stand or a remote
- Control pads are a little tricky to use
- Pricier than other ring lights of a similar size
3. Best ring light for amateur YouTubers – Juice Social LED Ring Light
This cheap and cheerful ring light from Juice is targeted at vloggers, makeup artists, and influencers looking to upgrade their social content. Offering ten brightness settings and warm, organic, and natural modes, this ring light is surprisingly sophisticated for its low price.
Users of the Juice Social LED ring light will also benefit from a fully rotatably ball joint, allowing you to find the perfect angle for your photos or videos. The product comes with extendable legs, durable LEDs, and USB charging capabilities that make your home-based projects as simple and effective as possible.
- Easy to use and compatible with a range of accessories
- Light and portable
- Highly affordable
- Comes with a smartphone holder and extendable legs
- Less suitable for large-scale projects
- Fewer settings than more expensive models
Discover houses for your next film project
Choose from 1000+ spaces and locations on Tutti and deal directly with space hosts for a quick, hassle-free booking process.
4. Best ring light with tripod – Razer 12” Ring Light
If you need a sturdy tripod for your project, look no further than Razer’s 12-inch ring light. Offering sturdiness and premium controllability, every Razer Ring Light comes with an excellent tripod you can use in a range of locations. It is also powered by USB, ensuring portability and versatility. Although this ring light is pricier than the similarly sized options listed here, it delivers impressively high-quality lighting that you can use for streaming, video calls, or still photography (either as a fill or key light).
Fitted with 192 LEDs, the Razer Ring Light offers around 500 lumens of brightness, which you can dim in line with your preferences. The product’s colour settings include warm white, balanced white, and cool light, allowing you to balance your lighting with artificial, ambient, or natural light. If you’re looking to utilise the ring light with a range of devices, you’ll benefit from its 0.25-inch tripod ball mount suitable for action cameras, smartphones, and small DSLRs.
In terms of usability, the Razer Ring Light is incredibly easy to operate thanks to a wired remote that allows you to adjust the lighting setting using one hand. If you need to make adjustments while presenting a live stream, for example, the Razer Ring Light allows you to do so subtly and professionally.
- High-quality lighting that offers optimal colour balance and soft diffusion
- A sophisticated tripod that allows you to precisely angle your shot
- Powerful for its size
- Less bright than mains-powered alternatives
- Professional photographers may wish to go up a price point for even better light quality
5. Best ring light for on-the-go filming – Rotolight Ultimate Vlogging Kit
Are you a content creator looking to shoot your next project across a variety of locations? Perhaps you’re getting started with vlogging and looking to invest in a bundle of new gear to get started? Rotolight’s Ultimate Vlogging Kit represents a cheap and easy solution. Each pack comes with Rotolight’s much-loved RL48 ring light, a universal mount for attaching different smartphones, and a small tripod for your at-home shoots. Plus, you’ll benefit from the RL48’s grade-A LEDs – capable of eliminating unwanted shadows and ensuring subjects look their very best.
While the ring light offers a fixed colour temperature, you can adjust the lighting using diffusion, colour, and skin tone filters included in the pack. If you’re looking to shoot at different times of day, these filters will ensure your shots look consistent. Whether you’re a YouTuber or a makeup artist, you can easily slip the Rotolight Vlogging Kit into your bag before embarking on your next project.
- Cost-effective thanks to its bundle offer
- Light and highly portable – perfect for outdoor or mobile shoots
- Easy to use
- Powered by AA batteries, offering less brightness than USB or wired alternatives
- Professional photographers may require brighter, sturdier options
6. Best large ring light – GODOX LR150 18-inch LED Ring Light
If you’re on the hunt for a large, reasonably priced ring light, you won’t do much better than the GODOX LR150. Designed for studio settings, this mains-powered ring light offers adjustable colour temperature and brightness settings and a USB port to keep your devices charged. The light head is rotatable by 180 degrees, allowing users to experiment with lighting angles. The tripod ball head can accommodate DSLR and mirrorless cameras. What’s more, you can mount up to five smartphone devices on the ring light.
- Sturdy stand offering various mounting options for phones and cameras
- USB ports can charge devices
- High-quality lighting options
- Knob controls are intuitive and precise
- No wireless option
- Not suitable for outdoor use
- Heavier than average
7. Best for Zoom calls – Logitech Litra Glow
While this light isn’t technically ring-shaped, the Logitech Litra Glow offers similarly flattering light diffusion technologies that will perk up your vlogs or Zoom calls. This compact light is easy to stow away in a draw while offering sufficient brightness to optimise webcam footage. If you’re primarily interested in purchasing a light for conference calls or presentations, the Litra Glow offers an excellent alternative to a traditional ring light.
Unlike many traditional ring lights, the Litra Glow is super easy to set up and can be mounted directly on a PC monitor. Once mounted, you can control the lighting features through Logitech’s intuitive G Hub software or via physical control buttons on the Litra Glow. In terms of brightness, the light offers around 250 lumens and adjustable temperature controls, allowing you to shoot video in a variety of lighting conditions.
- Can be folded and easily packed away
- Adjustable height
- Special clip for attaching to PC monitors
- Intuitive controls for adjusting brightness and warmth
- No power socket required
- Not powerful enough for use as a key light or softbox
- The small size means it’s only suitable for small-scale shoots
8. Best multi-purpose ring light – GeoSmartPro AirLit
If you ever feel a little hot and sweaty during shoots or streaming sessions, the AirLit ring light could be the gadget you never knew you needed. This multi-purpose ring light includes a powerful fan, a mirror, a high-quality light, and an automated app that allows you to adjust shoot conditions with a few simple clicks. Whether you’re a beauty vlogger or a professional photographer, the AirLit ring light offers handy applications with which to experiment.
Beyond its key functionalities, this ring light allows you to charge your phone from its high-capacity battery. It’s also super portable, at just over a kilogram. Even when you’re not planning to shoot videos or photographs, you can use the ring light and fan as a high-tech desk lamp – perfect if you work remotely.
- Affordable and versatile for streamers and amateur photographers
- Fan offers a variety of speed settings
- The mirror is magnetic and detachable
- Compatible with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa
- The stand is less sturdy than similarly priced alternatives
- Cannot mount devices in the middle of the ring light
- Difficult to disassemble the fan for travel or storage purposes
9. Best budget ring light – Smoovie Flexi Selfie Ring Light
If you’re looking for a beginner ring light that won’t break the bank, the Smoovie offers adjustable lighting and mounting options to instantly improve the quality of your photographs and videos. If you’re using a smartphone, you can attach your device to Smoovie’s phone holder. Camera and webcam users, on the other hand, can mount the ring light using an attached clamp.
In terms of light quality, the Smoovie is less powerful than many of the options listed here. However, its low price and compact size are perfect for on-the-go photographers and videographers looking to practise their skills on the cheap.
- Very affordable
- Easy to mount on a range of surfaces
- Includes nine light tones, including three white options
- Perfect for smartphone users
- USB-powered for portability
- Less powerful than pricier alternatives
- Small size isn’t suitable for ambitious projects
10. Best ring light with stand – Lume Cube Wireless Ring Light
Buy here: https://lumecube.com/products/ring-light
While the Lume Cube ring is at the pricier end of the scale, it more than makes up in power and versatility. Firstly, this 18-inch ring light includes a 6.5-foot stand, allowing users to shoot professional photos and videos from a range of distances. Unlike more compact ring lights, this product is suitable for professionals in need of a cutting-edge tool to add to their film lighting collection. Users benefit from bicolour temperature settings and soft diffusion that looks great in both artificial and daylight settings.
The stand can hold a range of devices up to 4.5kg, including mirrorless cameras, smartphones, DSLRs, and action cameras. Users can also add a microphone to the stand if they’re looking to shoot video. If you’re planning a video project, remember to check out our microphone buying guide before investing in new gear.
- Suitable for indoor and outdoor lighting conditions
- Offers both battery and mains power options
- Around 90 minutes of wireless power
- Not waterproof, so unsuitable for certain weather conditions
- Heavier than its rivals
- Expensive, particularly for amateur content creators
Explore the world of ring lights today!
Every photographer, videographer, streamer, or influencer can benefit from a ring light. These nifty lighting tools could transform your photography or video production workflow, as they’re easy to set up and can instantly eliminate those pesky blemishes and add an attractive soft glow to your work. Regardless of your budget, there are plenty of excellent ring lights on the market to suit your needs.
After checking out the products listed above, we also recommend exploring your location options before embarking on a new project. The backdrop of your videos or photographs can significantly alter their overall quality, particularly if you’re creating professional work.
Fortunately, we at Tutti are here to help with location scouting for film and photography. Our catalogue boasts scores of gorgeous locations and film studios in London for you to hire for as long as you need. To browse locations and discover more about our service, check out our website today!
Find film and video studios with Tutti
Choose from 1000+ spaces and locations on Tutti and deal directly with space hosts for a quick, hassle-free booking process.